Wednesday 10 July 2013

Is It Still Joyous After Joyous Celebration?

I have noticed the trend among Joyous Celebration alumni's of venturing to other genres after serving the choir.

I think it was last year when Nkanyiso Bhengu announced that after years of worshipping God the Father he had decided to sing Disco music.

Apparently he did not want his music to be boxed and wants to reach a wider audience.

Swazi Dlamini did not surprise me when she released a jazz inspired album and even now there is plenty of chilled sounds on her gospel Mino.

Idol winner, Khaya Mthethwa who wowed thousands of South African's last year when he became the first person of color to be crowned as the utmost winner. Juggles both worlds.

Thabo Mduli who describes himself as a fly Christian(I think I am one too lol) offered music lovers a pop album which was slightly different to his previous sound. I mean his music has always been inspired by RnB. I think.

Having not followed Asanda Bam's journey on JC, I was so perplexed to learn that she was once part of the team.

Then there is Sechaba Pali allow me to say he is an embarrassment to the gospel fraternity. Not only was he charged with statutory rape but he allegedly said he thought the 15 year old he had a sexual encounter with was 17.

I say its okay to come clean and admit the fact you are just making money bhuti!

He unearthed shocking news on Drum. He claimed half of the choir on Joyous during his time drank tjo!

I don't want to dismiss his claims altogether but it really posed a serious question. Not only in the choir but to Gospel music as a whole. Is it just business and not element of redemption in their music.

Doubtlessly Lindelani Mkhize, Jabu Hlongwane and Mthunzi Namba changed the gospel scene aphe'khaya but their efforts are plummeted with disgrace.

Generally I avoid being a ladder that faithfully lifts people to their destination but remain in the same place. This doesn't seem to bother gospel peeps anyway that's how I see it!



No comments: