Monday 28 October 2013

Us And Disable Children

I watched a white family walking freely with their disabled little girl and I stopped and said if only the same could be done by my people.

Honesty it’s rare to see a black family loving and protecting a child living with a disability. You are likely to find a child isolated and not given the special treatment they need.

The White child I saw had her wheel-chair wheels decorated with cartoons and she was genuinely happy and wasn’t portraying something that is not happening at home.

I know my people aren't well resourced and moneyed like most White people but we should nje love love and love our children.

I was so hurt a year ago by a story published by Move! magazine about a number of unemployed women in the Eastern Cape who purposely harmed their unborn babies by drinking poison to deform their fetuses. Kuba they wanted to cash on the social grant for disabled people to feed their drinking habit.

I don’t want to say may God strike by lighting those who molest and abuse children living with disabilities maar something needs to be done. People have become vultures phandl’apha. 

How do you even begin with forcing yourself on someone who is vulnerable and is not in a position to protect themselves.

We are taking ten steps backwards bakithi when we stigmatizeillnesses and disabilities. I know it’s not easy to live or even accept a child living with a disability  but there’s a method in God’s madness, you should never mistake being blessed with a disabled child as a curse God knew that you’d be perfectly fit to raise a child. AmaXhosa asekhaya athi: “Indlovu ayisindwa ngumboko wayo.”

No comments: