Tuesday 26 March 2013

My Tiff With The Caster Semenya Cover!



My heart goes out to this woman. The little we’ve come to know of her has been flooded with bad publicity.

This young woman has endured so much. Who can forget the 2009 World Championship when she won gold in the women's 800 metres? Our beloved country  was so united and we could not wait for her to come back.

No one anticipated the gender testing saga that would soon follow and how her coach apparently lied to protect her.  It all happened at the time we were celebrating her.

I was so disappointed when I saw the Drum cover. Yes, I don’t know the ins and out of choosing a cover story but as a reader I think the cover should stand out and make you want to buy the magazine not to have conflict within you of the decision they have made.

I started liking the magazine in Junior High and I did not want to miss a single issue because it was worth having but I do not know where it lost the plot.

It’s slowly losing its credibility if you remember the magazine was instructed by the Press Ombudsman to apologise  to Bonang Matheba for publishing defamatory comments about her. You would not expect this kind of carelessness from a renowned publication.

I was not going to write this thing if it the Caster story was carried by a Sunday newspaper.

The team didn’t even post a decent picture and they just ran with whatever they could get. Contrary to what the magazine is about.

I’m sure this is gonna come as a shock to most of you as I am an open homophobic. Maybe right now you are saying no wonder I’m defending her, I don’t want to accept that she is “homosexual”, far from the truth my friends.

I just hate how we’ve been portraying this young woman and not giving her the freedom she probably yearns.

Until she tells us what’s going on in her life we should stay out of her business and let her be. And I too want to know what is going on but sinking so low to get the latest Mgosi on her is not Ideal. Let’s report on facts my friends not on hearsay.

I thank you.

No comments: